Monday, November 8, 2010

Scootering

It's been a while, but yesterday I had the great pleasure of taking my beautiful 1963 Vespa out for a spin. Winter, travel and laziness have kept me off the scooter for a few months. The sense of guilt I felt was becoming an issue. In recent weeks, despite being flushed with springtime optimism, I couldn't get the thing to start. I feared the worst.
On Saturday I filled up the tank, looked at the spark plug and gave things a general wipe. I'm not sure what it was, it may even have been the warm sun, but when I ventured to kick it over it sprang into life on the third attempt. A little smoky, but purring nicely. Filled with happy thoughts, I resolved to ride on Sunday.
Sunday was a pleasant, cloudy morning; perfect weather for a spin. I didn't want to venture too far from home as I was concerned that we might get into difficulties after such a long period of inactivity. I needn't have worried. I spent the best part of an hour scootering around the local suburbs. I zigged and zagged through the streets of Millswood, Unley Park, Wayville, Hyde Park and Kings Park, having a great old time. The major roads allowed me to break the shackles of the 40 kmh limits and I was able to push just a little harder on the throttle. I would have stopped for a coffee but I was worried I'd have trouble getting started again. No matter, that confidence will come. It was a great way to start my day. Mods, baby, mods.

I really must do this more often.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment