Thursday, December 30, 2010

Yours Truly

From the very moment I hit the first chord of Fall to Pieces, all of the mental and physical fatigue (post-Christmas malaise?) I'd been enduring began to dissipate. I felt alive again! To my right, Ken was putting everything into the song. I had the easy part in this one - just a few acoustic power chords and the odd vocal. In front of me, a room full of people watched and listened...
Ken had been in town just over a week. We'd had three rehearsals and a successful short gig at The Metropolitan to set us up nicely for the Grace Emily. This annual event - The Yours Truly World Tour - usually comprises two or three Adelaide gigs. The two of us have been performing like this for a few years now, and it seems to work. Our respective songs mesh well, and I think the same can be said for our onstage performances.
For 2010 we'd knocked together a set of around 16 songs, all originals except for one Alistair Hulett number. It was a pleasure to present each and every one of them to what appeared to be an engaged crowd.
Before I knew it, we'd played for over an hour and we were into the last few songs. I wiped off the sweat, thanked everyone for coming, and we finished with rousing renditions of Here Come the Americans and Say Goodbye.

I'm already looking forward to 2011.

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment