Monday, January 16, 2012

One (almost) perfect day...

Yesterday, Sunday, was about as good a day as I've experienced in a long, long time. Most days fall somewhere within the 'satisfactory' and 'quite good, really' range but yesterday was just that little bit better.
I enjoyed a sleep in, rising around 7.30. Once I was cleaned, scrubbed and fed, I sat down to watch Manchester United beat Bolton without the usual levels of anguish and frustration. It made for a pleasant and easygoing start to my day. Long live cable...
As the morning wore on, it became apparent that most of my neighbourhood friends had gone away for the day. Certainly the noise-making elements were refreshingly absent. The locale was devoid of yapping dogs, screaming and yelling, power tools, doors slamming and the like. Just me and the birds, and the soothing sound of someone mowing their lawn, away in the distance.
As it was deadline day, I completed an article that is destined to appear in Australian Cyclist. I mowed my lawns (very quietly and quickly, of course) and cleaned out the fridges. I played some of my old Jimmy Reed vinyl as I attended to my chores. There's no-one quite like Jimmy. I did some cooking, and prepared some bruschetta with home grown tomato, basil and garlic. I watched a few episodes of Dexter while I enjoyed a bottle of home-brewed bitter beer.
The sun was out, the sky was blue, and a beautiful breeze blew through the open house. Every time I entered the hallway, I was met with swirling summer air coming from all directions. Beautiful.
I watered the lawn in the evening, and had a chat with the neighbours before spending some time sitting out the front with a glass of wine and the "new" Jack Kerouac novel, The Sea is my Brother. It's the first Kerouac I've read since revisiting Desolation Angels a few years back, and it was a great way to greet the dusk.
I finished my Sunday watching the Martin Scorsese documentary Living in the Material World, telling the tale of George Harrison's life. I saw more new footage/photos of George and The Beatles in two hours than I have in the last 20 years.

Peace and quiet on a Sunday. Please Sir, I want some more...

www.bleakumbrella.com

No comments:

Post a Comment